Warner Brothers wants to make a TV show out of the comic/graphic novel Sandman by Neil Gaiman. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are going to ruin it, as all good literature is ruined when turned into TV shows or movies. I can only think of a couple of examples when a piece of literature was adapted for the screen and turned out well. I am terribly upset. Here is the article.
I am now going to make a list of literature that has been turned into crap. Please feel free to add to it in the comments. And note that I’m only bitching about movies that I have seen, or refused to see on moral grounds. I may be missing some. I am giving the title of the work of literature first. If anybody knows me, they know that bitching about this kind of stuff is a hobby of mine. Especially when I have been drinking.
- We Can Remember it for You Wholesale (Philip K. Dick, short story turned into Total Recall, which I might add, was then turned into a book called Total Recall by Piers Anthony, one of my favorite authors)
- Minority Report (Philip K. Dick, a short story turned into a movie of the same title with Tom Cruise. The short story basically took place in one building!! Why the hell is Cruise running all over the place for???! Refused to see this).
- Second Variety (Philip K. Dick, a short story turned into Screamers, which wasn’t too bad)
- A Scanner Darkly (Philip K. Dick, a novel turned into a movie of the same name, starring Keanu Reeves – don’t even get me started. Didn’t see it.)
- I, Robot (Isaac Asimov, an anthology of his stories recording the history of the evolution of robots, so it’s not even one story, turned into I, Robot crap with Will Smith)
- I am Legend (Richard Matheson, a novella with NO DOG IN IT, turned into another crappy Will Smith movie where he has a dog. I don’t blame the dog. I have not seen other adaptions such as the Omega Man so I can not comment on those. I refused to see this one.)
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams, a novel turned into a movie of the same name – oh my god what the hell were they thinking?? You don’t go slapping Vogons around with your towel! That is not what a towel is for, damnit!)
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (F. Scott Fitzgerald, a short story that is totally different from the movie of the same name, and even though Brad Pitt is HOT, and I didn’t see the movie, I know from what I’ve heard that it is way too different.)
Some that are good:
- A Clockwork Orange, Fight Club, Trainspotting, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (I haven’t read any of these books, but I love the movies).
- The Shining (Steven King)
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Philip K. Dick, turned into Bladerunner – alright if you don’t compare too closely)
- Coraline (Neil Gaiman- although I felt that it differed A LOT from the book, I enjoyed how it looked.)
- PBS does a good job of turning Agatha Christie novels into 1-hour shows, especially the stories with Hercule Poirot.
- Harry Potter movies
- The Ring books
Okay, now I’m tired of writing so I may add more tomorrow.