There is an ant invasion in my kitchen. Every day there is a new swarm of them. This morning I had to clean out my booze cupboard and wash off all the bottles and then spray down the cupboard with Raid. DAMN ANTS!!!
Tag Archives: complaints
I hurt myself today. And not just to see if I still felt. (That’s a reference to a song. Anybody know the name of the song?)I hurt myself today. And not just to see if I still felt. (That’s a reference to a song. Anybody know the name of it?)
I was carrying a large box down the narrow stairwell of my apartment building and gauged a chunk of my knuckle off on the stucco. It didn’t hurt right away but I knew there was going to be damage. I waited until I got to my car before I looked at it. Don’t you love it when you can see a giant pit where your flesh used to be? And then it takes a few minutes for the blood to start oozing? I ended up going to the pharmacy to buy knuckle band-aids and antiseptic spray before going to the post office. Here’s what my finger looks like now (warning: contains icky images):
It may not look like much but it’s deep.
I would also like to complain to the makers of cameras how hard it is to use a camera if you don’t have the use of your right hand. You need to use your knee to hold the camera and then your left hand gets in the way of the flash when you try to push the shutter button. That’s why the top photo is blurry. Camera makers are so inconsiderate.
Watch out, this is the depressing edition. This will not be funny. I am angry and sad.
So some of you may know that my dad died last February after a battling Parkinson disease and other issues. And I may have ranted somewhere that life is NOT FAIR, and bad things happen to good people. Well, it happened again.
My parents are very good friends with a family, the father of which was one of my dad’s doctors for a very long time until he (the doctor) retired. My parents stayed friends with them. The doctor and his adult daughter were at our house after my dad died. They have always been supportive. Well, the doctor has been battling cancer for a couple of years but was winning. Although in his 80’s, he still had years left in him, and he was very up beat and active.
Last week he had some type of body scan that shows tumors. He had a tumor. So he went into surgery and they removed it and ran all sorts of tests and it was benign. And he came though the surgery fine and was doing well. Then later the his daughter noticed he wasn’t looking good so called the Infection Disease specialists and a doctor came and prescribed antibiotics because nobody had given him any yet. And nobody gave him any antibiotics for nearly 24 hours after the doctor prescribed them!
His daughter and wife left the room for a little bit, either to go to the cafeteria or to go home for a bit, my mom had forgotten which, and when they came back he had tubes going in and out and was in a stupor. He died and they didn’t have a chance to say goodbye. .
The fucking hospital killed him because of carelessness and mismanagement. One doctor said he could have lived at least another few years if he hadn’t come in for the surgery that resulted in an infection because he wasn’t given antibiotics soon enough. So a man who spent the majority of his life helping other people get better died in a hospital for NO FUCKING REASON. There are just no words to express how infuriating this is. I hope his family sues, not for money because they don’t need it, but to stop things like this from happening again.
The hospital was Cedars-Sinai in Beverly Hills. My mom also knows two other people who came out much worse than when they went in to that hospital, so don’t ever go there.
I used to think that spinning was safe. I can’t crash, get hit by a car, or fall over. But I can have my clip come unclipped and then my foot hit the floor, and the pedal go full speed into my calf, and then somehow have the other pedal hit the back of my other leg, I’m still not sure how that happened, and then still be in pain a week later. Here are my two big bruises. Ouch.
I feel like resurrecting something I wrote many years ago and submitted to a blog called “Working for the Man.” It was a great blog but now I think it’s gone. Here is what I wrote. It should make people who have horrible bosses feel good. And I want to emphasize that this was written about 10 years ago, and in no way reflects my current job, which is good.
As suggested, I’m writing this on the clock. I’m a starving writer in Los Angeles (who isn’t). I started working as a grant writer at this non-profit 6 months ago because the unemployment checks just weren’t paying the bills. I had no idea of the hell I would be sucked into, ruled by a being worse than Satan, who I will call the Paranoid Control Freak (PCF). What follows is a list of all his evildoings that I’ve catalogued during my days of misery. If you’ve ever seen “The Caine Mutiny” with Humphrey Bogart, Captain Quigley is almost as bad as the PCF, our Acting Executive Director.
1. The PCF is now freaking out about people taking pens off his desk. ‘My pens are my pens.’ The pens were just normal Bic pens. He lectures us for ten minutes as he tries to figure out who took his pens. There are plenty of pens five feet away in the storage closet.
2. Argues with a receptionist on the phone, telling her ‘shouldn’t you be embarrassed?’ when she tells him that the person he asks for doesn’t exist within that company. He should be embarrassed because he keeps lousy files and is unorganized. He is too paranoid to make a contacts list becuase someone in the office might see it.
3. Lectured me for ten minutes because I spent five minutes on a phone call to one of our members who had a few questions. This woman was just a regular member, not one who donated tons of money. I am supposed to put a monetary value on everything, including people. If they don’t give a lot of money, then don’t put an effort into them.
4. We must ask whether he is ‘in’ before we can speak with him. Then he gets angry when we ask because we’re interupting whatever he’s doing. He hates that his desk is in the main room and open to everything, but won’t move into the back room because then he won’t be able to spy on everyone.
5. Claims people are moving files around in the locked cabinet that only he has a key to.
6. Complains that he is being bogged down with “minutia” and administrative duties that everyone else should be doing instead. But then when he deligates these duties, he doesn’t trust our abilities and double checks everything we do, criticizing our work, and then does it over himself.
7. The following must be checked with the PCF before done: faxing, mailing, shredding paper, emailing, and talking on the phone.
8. Writes on the wipe-away board with permanant pen.
9. Yells at the pizzaman when he’s ordering food, claiming that they’re unbusinesslike and don’t know what they’re doing. We no longer share his pizza because we know they must be putting extra “toppings” on it. Then he never has enough money for the deliveryman so doesn’t give a tip. Eats extremely loudly and wetly. Very messy and piglike. Very annoying.
10. I ask the PCF if we’ve had contact with a certain corporation. He says angrily, “see, this is why you need to check with me, because we already do.” And I said, “I am checking with you right now. Why else do you think I’d be asking?”
11. In the middle of my phone conversations with members or employees at other chapters, he will pick up the phone and butt into my conversation without asking, which is very unprofessional, although he doesn’t seem to realize it.
12. Will use the noisey paper shredder right next to my desk when I’m on the phone.
13. Spent about 20 hours working on his director’s report and wouldn’t let anyone see it. I had to use his computer so I could use his scanner and he wouldn’t move. I had to lean over his lap to get to the mouse and keyboard. Then friday morning I read his report while he wasn’t there and found out he took credit for everything that happened in the office, including grant stuff that I did and research that another coworker did. I had a private talk with our president in the back room and told her this. She said that she had already gone over his report and taken out most of the ‘I did this and that’ and made him change it all to ‘we’ and ‘the staff’ because he’s just out for his own gain. When we came out of the back room another empoyee said the PCF had been standing by the door listening.
14. Our Office Manager is the mother of our President and in her seventies. She is very dedicated, but it takes some patience to work with her because she sometimes lags due to her age. The PCF makes her cry at least twice a week.
15. A gentleman was coming to the office at 2pm, and PCF wanted everyone there so we had to take a late lunch. So at 11am PCF calls in and says when he gets in he’s going to have a meeting with everyone over budget issues. He says he’ll be in shortly, which means anything from 15 minutes to an hour and a half. Another co-worker and I tell our Office Manager that we are going to run to the market for 10 minutes to get a snack since we have to take a late lunch. We ask if this is okay and if she needs anything. Then we go. When we get back in ten minutes we are met with an angry assault from the PCF, who got in 2 minutes before we got back. He said that we had just left the office without properly asking our office manager and without telling her how long we’d be. Properly asking means, “May we please go to the supermarket for ten minutes if it doesn’t interfere with anything that needs to be done?” He spends an hour yelling at us, and we’re yelling back. The guy I took the break with is so pissed he’s shaking. He ends up quitting, but is convinced to stay by our Office Manager before he can make it out the door. A few days later I quit over something other issue related to the PCF, and make it out to my car before I am convinced to stay by the OM. A few days after that, another employee threatens to quit. That’s over half our staff in under two weeks. That says a hell of a lot about the shit that we have to put up with because of the PCF. Lately I’ve started to fantasize about the PCF dying a grisley, horrible death. Does that make me bad?